Christian Union is one of the Christian groups on campus, with people from lots of different types of churches, dedicated to following Jesus Christ, sharing that with others and making solid friendships. We exist for both: Christians who want to understand and live out their faith in a more mature way; AND for those who aren’t Christians but want check out Jesus’ claims, explore the meaning of life and ask questions. We believe that Jesus is Good News and by trusting him we are given: a relationship with God; forgiveness for our sins; and a new life with which to serve God.
During semester CU holds two Public Meetings each week, where we meet as a large group and a Bible-based talk is given. We also run: Bible Studies; topical discussions and debates; dinners; outdoor sports and recreation; video nights and other social events. And each year we run four (awesome!) camps, of which the biggest is the mid-year conference – Summit. So read the chalking, come along, and check out what we’re made of and what we are on about!
Melbourne University Christian Union (MUCU or CU for short) is an interdenominational campus club whose aim is to glorify God by encouraging members, under the enablement of the Holy Spirit and in obedience to the Lord Jesus Christ, to demonstrate Christian love. As an outworking of this, our objectives are:
- To Reach Out to others, bearing witness on campus to Jesus Christ and seeking to lead others to faith in him as Saviour and Lord.
- To Build Up Christians by prayer and study of the Bible, and to encourage them to explore and to demonstrate to the university the relevance of the Christian faith to every area of private life and public concern.
- To Send ouT our members, challenging them to consider the implications of the Gospel of Jesus
Christ for their vocations, and stimulating an informed and active interest in the work of Gods people throughout the world.
Our (imperfect) acronym that summarizes these goals is ROBUST.
What We Believe
MUCU is an evangelical club, and our doctrinal basis consists of the following fundamental truths of the Christian faith:
- The divine inspiration and infallibility of the Holy Scripture as originally given and its supreme authority in all matters of faith and conduct.
- The unity of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit in the Godhead.
- The universal sinfulness and guilt of human nature since the fall, rendering humanity subject to Gods wrath and condemnation.
- The conception of Jesus Christ by the Holy Spirit and his birth by the Virgin Mary.
- Redemption from guilt, penalty and power of sin only through the sacriﬁcial death, as our representative and substitute, of Jesus Christ, the Incarnate Son of God.
- The bodily resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead.
- The necessity of the work of the Holy Spirit to make the death of Christ eﬀective in individual sinners, granting them repentance towards God, and faith in Jesus Christ.
- The indwelling and work of the Holy Spirit in the believer.
- The expectation of the personal return of the Lord Jesus Christ.